Almonds or Prunus dulcis as they are scientifically called is native to countries in southwest Asia and the Middle East.
Almond oil is gotten from cold pressing dried almond nuts. You should also note that there are two kinds of almond oil, we have the sweet almond oil which is quite common and readily available.
This is a carrier oil and it is widely used as a massage oil because it is an awesome emollient (softens the skin) which makes it equally great for dry, chapped skin.
Bitter almond oil, on the other hand, is gotten from bitter almond nuts (which to a novice, is quite difficult to distinguish from its sweet counterpart). It is an essential oil, it is also known to be quite dangerous as it contains some poisonous substances so you may want to be careful with that. So back to sweet almond oil…
Let’s take a look at the benefits, shall we…
1. Anti-inflammatory – Sweet almond oil is employed quite a lot in our product formulations for people with sensitive skin. It provides a calming effect for irritated and inflamed skin making it perfect for those with skin allergies and inflammation.
2. Antioxidant – This oil is richly loaded with Vitamin E
3. Emollient – We talked about this earlier; This oil easily gets absorbed into the skin, non-greasy. This one oil that makes it into our formulations for oily skin folks.
It also helps restore the skin to its normal pH level after a bath or a scrub. It’s also great for stretchmarks as it helps tighten the skin and promotes better blood circulation.
4. Price – Did I also mention the fact that it was quite affordable? In the past, I was only able to get this oil from Lagos, so imagine my joy when I found this on the shelves of a neighbourhood supermarket in Port Harcourt…pure bliss
5. Because it is rich in oleic and linoleic acids, Vitamins A, B and E, it’s an oil that will help delay the appearance of wrinkles as well.
Having identified the amazing benefits of sweet almond oil, here are a few Ocha products that contain it, Ocha face and body lotion for oily skin, Ocha face and body lotion for sensitive skin, Ocha No-Acne Kit etc.
Image credit: Medicalandlabsupplies.com